Wednesday, November 23, 2016

The more I learned the more I realize how much I don't know. What's the meaning of "Thanksgiving"? A: "Remembering everything in your life to be thankful for." B: "Remembering why you only hang out with these people once a year." But the real meaning of "Thanksgiving" is C. C: “Millions of native people were slaughtered. And the gold, slaves and other resources were used, in Europe, to spur the growth of the new money economy rising out of feudalism." Basically, the colonists came into the Americas as invaders (not as friendly as most people teach), running away from their own people, and their religions, and slaughter everyone who came into their path, including women and children. In other words, "Thanksgiving" is the celebration of a Genocide. Now, yesterday when I was getting food at local place here, one of the employees asked me: "Are you ready for Thanksgiving?!" with a very excited voice. I politely said: "No, I'm not. I don't like nor agree with the holiday." She replied: "OMG! Why not?! Thanksgiving is the best" I said: "Hey, don't get me wrong, I love food. hint: I'm here! :D but I disagree entirely, not only with the origin of the "holiday", but also to the "point" the holiday tries to make about being grateful one day of the year." After that, we switched the convo to getting my order set up. We agreed to disagree without being rude or weird to each other. As it should be. Before you say: "This is such a negative post", it's not. It's actually a knowledge post. I truly believe that people should do just a little bit of research as to why, and what they are "celebrating". Also, we love food! You reading this should know that more than anyone. We are also grateful for what we have, and for what's to come. All the time. Not just one day of the year. If you need a holiday to remind you to be grateful, and to finally have some food to eat, sorry to tell you this but you have bigger problems than that. P.S. The unfair treatment of Natives is still happening today, in 2016, here in the U.S. at the Standing Rock Indian Reservation. How ironic isn't. History repeating itself.


http://ift.tt/2ggUC8l

No comments:

Post a Comment